Forum Message

Topic: Re:Is Greyhound Road in Hammersmith or Fulham?
Posted by: James Goldstone
Date/Time: 31/03/21 23:49:00

I've thought about it, and I say Hammersmith.

Anything south of Lillie Road is definitely Fulham but north of the Lillie road by North End Road is, to my mind, West Kensington (because of the station and the West Ken Estate).

Now because Greyhound road is to the north of Lillie road and in line with a big chunk of the West Ken Estate, for Greyhound Road to be in Fulham requires Fulham to be a pretty weird shape that, to me, doesn't quite fit with a natural expansion from central Fulham (which I'd call Fulham Road and further south).

Also Greyhound Road have quite a few four storey buildings more in keeping with housing round Hammersmith Grove area.

If you look at a maps from the late Victorian era you'll see Greyhound Road developed but a lot of housing to the South and West not there. So when Greyhound Road was built it was part of the sprawl outwards from Hammersmith.

But it's not clear cut. Margavine Cemetery used to be Hammersmith Cemetery but the site of Charing Cross Hospital right next to it used to be called Fulham Union Workhouse.

It's in the Parliamentary constituency of Hammersmith, has a Hammersmith W6 postcodem, when you google Hammersmith it shows a map included Greyhound Road and its closest to Hammersmith or, at least, non Fulham stations.

So, while it's a pretty close call, I'd have to say Hammersmith.

I should be getting on with work but instead I wrote this.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Is Greyhound Road in Hammersmith or Fulham?12/02/21 17:25:00 Mark Evans
   Re:Is Greyhound Road in Hammersmith or Fulham?12/02/21 17:51:00 Caroline MacMillan
      Reply22/04/24 13:07:00 keith whitehouse
   Re:Is Greyhound Road in Hammersmith or Fulham?12/02/21 21:08:00 Mr A Wilkie
      Re:Re:Is Greyhound Road in Hammersmith or Fulham?19/02/21 08:46:00 Mark Evans
   Re:Is Greyhound Road in Hammersmith or Fulham?31/03/21 23:49:00 James Goldstone

Forum Home